Monday 31 March 2014

A Curious Heart - Words, Words, Words .....


This is my latest challenge entry; I've recycled an old drawer that I originally thought had been a clock housing, I bought it a while back at a bric-a-brac shop for about £2. I've created a little door for it to make it into a little cupboard.




The first thing I did was to line the inside.  I created the background paper by stamping various words (did I tell you I like text stamps?) on a beige coloured sheet of paper using crimson and chocolate coloured ink-pads.  I also stamped some little flourishes. I then blended the edges of the paper with the crimson ink and tattered rose.  The sides were lined with a co-ordinating paper.


I've wanted to try a distress, cracked paint finish for a while so, after a bit of online research,I painted the outside with a metallic copper acrylic paint, when dried I then applied a coat of pva glue and when thi was tacky but not completely dry I applied a coat of black acrylic paint.  As the glue dried the peeled effect revealed itself. I'm more than pleased with it for a first effect!


The door is a strong piece of card which I've covered with two different papers.  The front first, then adding the hardware (hinges,  handle and bookplate) before adding the back piece.  I then added a stamped tag, some wooden cogs and a leather flower embellishment to the inside of the door. I used some large round beads to create the feet.










The heart is a small polystyrene one which I've painted with a mixture of copper, red and black paints before threading a wire through it to hold it in place.




I am entering this into the following challenges:
SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenges - Your Favourite Technique goes Steampunk (I've decided that the peeled paint technique I used is a new favourite!); here (www.sandee-and-amelie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/your-favourite-technique-goes-steampunk.html?m=1)
Rhedd's Creative Spirit monthly challenge - altered art: here (http://rheddscreativespirit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/april-challenge.html)
And


22 comments:

  1. Fabulous work, love that technique with the paint, must try it myself. Great paper and embellishments.

    Thanks for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Challenge.

    Moira DT xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moira - thanks for your visit. I'm really pleased I found your challenge site - look forward to joining in again!

      Delete
  2. The peeled paint technique IS fab and it looks great on your awesome project, Steffi!

    Love how you turned that drawer into a treasure! Thank you for sharing it with us at SASPC!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya - thanks for stopping by & thanks for your comments :o)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea with the heart on the wire! You really have done magic with this drawer!
    Thank you for playing along at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges! :)
    All the best, Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agnieszka - thanks for visiting - I love your site and look forward to joining in more challenges in the future.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your creative piece with us. Your peeled paint looks great, and I can't wait to se your next project with it.

    Thank you for participating in Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.

    Hugs
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Susan - I'm already planning the next peeled paint project :o)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely piece of altered art - the paint effects are great and I love the heart hanging in the midst of all those lovely words! Thanks for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done a fab job on this! Thanks for linking it to Tando this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely project - thank you for joining us at Tando Creative this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing with us at Tando Creative this vintage box/drawer beautifully recycled! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Beautiful piece of recycling Steffi! Thank you for joining us at Tando x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous work! I love the crackle finish and the metal hardware. Thanks for joining us at Tando Creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit Dana - I keep looking for more things to crackle now!!

      Delete
  11. Great project! Thank you for joining the MMP challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Riikka - thanks for your visit and your comments :o)

      Delete